Godot is an advanced, feature-packed, multi-platform 2D and 3D open source game engine.
- Visual editor, full of mature tools.
- Uncluttered UI, with context-sensitive editors.
- Amazing scene system, supporting instancing and inheritance.
- Friendly content creation interfaces for artists, level designers, animators, …
- Visual shader editing for 2D and 3D.
- Persistent live editing (changes are not lost after stopping the game). Live editing on mobile devices!
Develop 2D games
- Fully dedicated 2D engine, no hacks.
- Work in pixels as your units, but scale to any screen size and ratio.
- Custom 2D physics engine that works in pixel coordinates.
- Flexible kinematic controller for collision without physics.
- Blit 3D models as sprites into 2D.
Develop 3D games
Import 3D models from 3DS Max, Maya, Blender, and more with full animation.
Skeleton deforms and blend shapes.
Several light types, with shadow mapping.
Render with HDR, anti-aliasing and linear color modes.
Post-process fog, glow, bloom, color adjustment, …
Support for Physically-Based Rendering planned for the end of 2016.
- Animate 2D or 3D. Visual animation editor with timeline.
- Frame-based or cut-out animation for sprites and rigs.
- Any property of any object can be animated, even function calls.
- Use custom transition curves and tweens.
- Helpers to animate 2D rigs, with skeletons and IK.
- Efficient optimizer to pack imported 3D animations.
- Animation Tree support for fluid character animation.
Script & debug
- Python-like scripting language, designed to make games with zero hassle.
- Built-in editor with syntax highlighting, real-time parser and code completion.
- Powerful integrated debugger and profilers. Can debug a game running on mobile devices.
- Integrated class documentation browser.
- Friendly C++ API to optimize parts of the game or extend any part of the engine.
- Godot works on Windows, OS X, Linux, FreeBSD, OpenBSD and Haiku. Editor runs in 32-bit and 64-bit, in all platforms.
- Small download (around 20 MB), and you are ready to go.
- Very easy to compile yourself in any platform (no dependency hell).
- Mobile platforms: iOS, Android, BlackBerry OS
- Desktop platforms: Windows, OS X, Linux, *BSD, Haiku
- Web Platforms: HTML5 (via Emscripten)
- One-click deploy & export to most platforms. Easy to create custom builds too.
- Filesystem usage is friendly to popular version control systems (Git, Subversion, Mercurial, PlasticSCM, Perforce, …).
- Scene instancing makes teamwork a breeze, every team member can focus on their own scene. Be it a character, stage, … Edit without stepping on each other's toes.
- Text-based descriptive and optimal scene format.
- Script syntax supported by GitHub.